Employee Performance Review Template
Before you download the free employee performance review template please go through these tips:
1. Annual employee performance reviews. If you are just like most other organizations and you do performance reviews annually, try to avoid ranking employees based on what they did in the last several weeks. Try to review they performance for the last 12 months.
2. If you don’t have enough data for a good reliable review maybe it’s time for you to create a simple system where for example you can log important performance data for each employee. This will be very helpful in giving performance reviews to your employees.
3. Explain the purpose of your review with each employee individually. Create positive and productive atmosphere during your conversation. After all, your goal as a manager is to improve overall organizational performance and the only way to do this is by creating a positive environment and create clear understanding of the goals and objectives.
4. Make good notes before your employee performance review interview. Go through all potential issues one by one. Try to avoid generalization of multiple issues. Break down each issue and support with simple facts and examples.
5. For more effective performance reviews you should be able to quantify the goals. When you convert your strategic goals into measures you are converting them into easy-to-understand targets. This will help you build a better team and it will make sure every employee is on the same page with you. Finally, this will be perceived as fair and trustworthy by your team.
6. Use the notes part of your employee performance form to outline specific recommendation for improvement. By developing plan for improvement for the employee you are turning the conversation into positive future pacing and your intentions and expectations are clear for your team.
7. Provide tools, tactics and support to help employees do a better job in the future. Most managers fail because they just give feedback on their opinion and don’t support and motivate employees to improve their performance. Your role as a manager is to inspire your team and support everyone to perform better.
8. Common accepted goals. Include them all in establishing targets. Instead of just listing targets, approach employees with questions like: What do you believe you are able to accomplish better? Do you need any tools to do a better job? How about training? What is the major obstacle to perform better?…
9. Keep your targets reasonable. Setting up objectives way too high is only going to discourage your team. On the other hand, setting these low will certainly eliminate the potential for improvement.
10. In case you are willing to ask employees to rank themselves, you will probably be very surprised in a positive way. Fact is that in many cases your employees might be more difficult on themselves when compared with what you would say or do. This could position you as well as your managers within the roles of being more of a career advisor and mentor instead of traditional boss or disciplinarian.
You can download your free copy of the Employee Performance Review Template in PDF here
If you found this form useful subscribe free here for more free management guides and templates.